Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Are You New To Driving?


1. Buckle up.

This should always be your first step when you get into a car. A seat belt is the one thing in your car that can keep you safe if an unexpected accident occurs. Consider it like a lifeline! It is so important to buckle up every time you get into a car. In a split second someone can run a red light, rear end your car, sideswipe you and so many other things that can lead to serious injuries and death. Remember to always stay alerted and buckle up.

2. Get settled in.

Before you take off, pick your favorite radio station or set your temperature to your preference. The less time you spend fidgeting on your drive, the more time you spend staying concentrated on the road ahead.

3. Stop texting and calling.
Drivers are 23 times more likely to crash when they text and drive. 84% of distracted-driving-related fatalities were affiliated with carelessness or inattentiveness. You might think that it is easy to text and drive or you’re a professional so there is no need to worry, wrong! In a split second, everything can change and you might not even notice.

4. Consider road conditions.

Before you leave the house make sure you check the weather. Be ready for snow, rain and other factors that might take place on your commute. One of the scariest situations for a new driver is being stuck in a storm or environment that they aren’t used to.

5. If you’re tired, don’t drive.

A 2007 study from Transport Canada has shown that 15% of Canadians have admitted to falling asleep at the wheel just in that year! Fifteen percent might not seem like a lot but think of it like this.
In Canada, we have approx. 36,155,487 people according to Statcan. Now times 36,155,487 by 15%… That’s over 5 million Canadians that have fallen asleep at the wheel! I don’t know about you, but that is an extremely high number of my books.

6. Be road ready.

This is a pretty broad statement that can be taken in so many ways, but that’s the point. The young driver doesn't even understand half of the factors, hurdles and the unknowns that await them on the road. I’ve been driving for 6 years now and I’m still constantly learning for everyone around me. From the young age of 16 till I moved away for school, my dad would always say, “You’re are not a season’s driver.” This would anger me and usually start an argument about my driving. Now that I’m older, I totally understand what he meant and I was 100% not a season’s driver. When I got my license I was instantly a “professional” driver. I could handle any situation that came my way, or that’s what I thought. I eventually realized that when it came to certain situations I had no idea how to handle them. Eventually, I learned and can now handle everything I would not have been able to a few short years ago. Coming from a small town and learning how to drive at a super young age around the farm, I thought I knew everything and I was a step ahead of city kids. My dad, on the other hand, knew that that was not the case and made good points. The whole point is to learn and driving allows you to do just that, but you got to remember that scary things happen every day on the road and you need to be ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment